Data Management Policy
Next Health Choice has procedures to create and maintain retrievable exact copies of electronic protected health information (ePHI) stored in conjunction with Next Health Choice Backup. The policy and procedures will assure that complete, accurate, retrievable, and tested backups are available for all systems used by Next Health Choice.
Data backup is an important part of the day-to-day operations of Next Health Choice. To protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of ePHI, both for Next Health Choice and Next Health Choice Customers, completes backups are done daily to assure that data remains available when it needed and in case of disaster.
Violation of this policy and its procedures by workforce members may result in corrective disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Applicable Standards from the HITRUST Common Security Framework
- 01.v - Information Access Restriction
Applicable Standards from the HIPAA Security Rule
- 164.308(a)(7)(ii)(A) - Data Backup Plan
- 164.310(d)(2)(iii) - Accountability
- 164.310(d)(2)(iv) - Data Backup and Storage
Backup Policy and Procedures
- Perform daily snapshot backups of all systems that process, store, or transmit ePHI for Next Health Choice Customers
- Next Health Choice Ops Team, lead by VP of Engineering, is designated to be in charge of backups.
- Dev Ops Team members are trained and assigned to complete backups and manage the backup media.
- Document backups
- Name of the system
- Date & time of backup
- Where backup stored (or to whom it was provided)
- Securely encrypt stored backups in a manner that protects them from loss or environmental damage.
- Test backups and document that files have been completely and accurately restored from the backup media.